The competitors hit the jumps or "kickers" at speeds of over 60 km/h, launching themselves some 50 feet in the air and perform triple back somersaults with up to five twists. Then they must land on a steep hill most people would be nervous just skiing down.
When it comes to Aerials, Jeff Bean was one of the world’s best. He competed at three Olympic Winter Games (1998, 2002 and 2006) and won an amazing 17 World Cup medals.
His career highlights include a 4th place finish at the Salt Lake City 2002 Olympic Winter Games and a silver medal at the 2005 World Championships.
Jeff is now an RBC Olympian and visits schools across the country to inspire students.
- hometown is Ottawa, Ontario
- If I could travel to anywhere in the world, I’d go to Switzerland
- If I could be a superhero I would be Batman
- My favourite food includes everything except pickles and olives.
- My advice to students is to not take this time for granted. Enjoy it and think. Don’t just memorize enough to pass, but try to understand the why’s!