Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Position Paper for Pittsburgh Public Schools about sports from Mark Rauterkus. Edit
Doctor Linda Lane, superintendent of schools at Pittsburgh Public Schools said in her December 2013, State of the District Speech that cuts were needed in the budget and one area was to have "fewer sports."
- This page is a hub for a position paper to address the bad-idea of fewer sports.
The concept of “fewer sports” for Pittsburgh Public Schools is wrong for many reasons.Edit
With fewer sports, more students are going to depart the city and Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS).
Sports help students get “promise ready.” Plus with sports, students gain admission to better colleges with more financial aid. Furthermore, athletes are embraced with support and instant friendships after they get onto their campus settings. Athletes do better in the classroom with higher grades in both high school and in college.
Having sports such as swimming, golf and tennis insures “excellence for all.” Pittsburgh students need schools with programs that teach how to perform in a competitive world where strong team behaviors and pressure situations are the norm.
Sports help youngsters understand what in life matters and where the noise and less important distractions reside. Quality sports experiences do wonders to teach our kids how to better manage time, space, and relationships, especially with themselves and peers.
PPS does not need fewer sports, but rather: better, smarter, more flexible and sustainable sports. We need integrated lessons from sports and wellness, and engaging sports experiences that span years, generations and communities.
With crisis comes opportunity.
My hope is to advance alternatives to “fewer sports.” Better discussions, decisions and solutions can lead the administration and board to improved outcomes and less overall PPS spending. Sports at our schools and parks can be improved greatly and be a deeply positive connection to greater number of students, citizens and taxpayers. Pittsburgh is a sports town. Sports can be a key to helping fix some of the problems in the district, the city and region.
Background articles in Obama Eagle, school newspaper:
- Article from Feb 24, 2014, by Lucy Newman
- provided to PPS Board at public comment, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByN94c3Pp4BpRmlCSm14b083b0U/edit?usp=sharing
- on Running Mates blog
- Article on Jan 26, 2014, Budget Cuts: Ideas abound to save sports http://www.obamaeagle.org/top-stories/2014/01/21/budget-cuts-ideas-abound-to-save-sports/
- http://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2014/02/18/Pittsburgh-schools-superintendent-says-no-cuts-planned-for-interscholastic-sports/stories/201402180154 Reprieve. The sports cuts will not come in the 2014-15 school year.
- http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2014/02/19/City-school-finances-attract-much-interest/stories/201402190078 News of position paper hits the Post-Gazette with the publishing of this web address on Feb. 20, 2014
All-City_Sports_Camp Section EditInsights into that sub-proposal for summers.
Position Paper LinksEdit
- Suggestions in a one page PDF. http://tinyurl.com/lw55lcc
- Position Paper, Alpha release, February 2, 2014.
- Alpha suggestions. One page summary in PDF of the 39 suggestions. http://tinyurl.com/meq3co7
Suggestions by numberEdit
Footnotes by number Edit
|/40 Chart of sports and actions proposed.||/41 Footnote 1, list of PIAA sports||/42 Footnote 2, PIAA Constitution on Termination of Team(s) for Budgetary Reasons.||/43 Footnote 3, A cautionary tale article||/FAQ Frequently Asked Questions|
Pending Chapters Edit
/44 Action plans:
for PPS (posted 3/7/12)
|/45 Connections to Whole Child & Whole Community Plan||/46 Economics of Water, Swimming and Swimming Pools||/47 Helpers and Hopeless Lists||/48 Mark Rauterkus' Recreational Vita||/49 Position Paper in various formats||/Conculsion Conclusion|